Gleaning from Life

Today I am grateful for a nice day yesterday, taking in a little holiday shopping and seeing a great movie in "Lincoln."  I am also grateful for the promise this day, and every day, holds.

Part of that promise is the chance to learn each day. Learn more about who I am, about what life is really about. That fits today's word: glean. I have always liked this word and even look for opportunities to use it because I like how it sounds and I appreciate what it means. To glean is to gather information or material bit by bit, to pick over in search of relevant material. That doesn't sound like all that glamorous of a definition, but each day I glean something from is a day worth living.

Gleaning can refer to picking up grain left behind by reapers. How much do I leave behind each day when I am not paying attention? The relevant material and information I glean ranges from more love and forgiveness, more grieving and letting go, more acceptance and patience, more inspiration and motivation, more desire to learn and grow, more joy, more challenges. And more gratitude. Always more gratitude.

Don't get me wrong. To glean doesn't mean I pick up everything. It means find the wheat and leave the chaff. The key word here is relevant. To know what matters in my life, I need to be in touch with it. Practicing gratitude helps me stay in touch.

Go and glean what matters to you today.

Comments