Worth the Risk?

Today I am grateful for my husband's sense of humor. It can help take my edge off when I am spiraling into crabbiness. I am also grateful for family meals together.

I tried to be more awake yesterday. To feel the wind in my face as I biked. To hear the vacuum picking up the dirt from our floors. To smell the fresh and clean bathroom. To taste the stuffed burger my husband made for dinner. To see the vibrant colors of fall when the sun came out in the afternoon.

Even a little conscientious focus on wakefulness can heighten my sense of awareness and of gratitude. Is it worth the risk? Definitely!  But the ways I mentioned above are not the real risky ones. It is still too easy to sleep though life and miss so much. Life and love are challenging. It can be "safer" to avoid taking risks that make us vulnerable, put us in a place where we could be hurt. But if we are always trying to avoid hurt, we also end up missing the joy that comes with risk as well.

I am trying to wrap my head around Brother David Steindl-Rast's words from yesterday's post and also these from the next pages:

"Even the predictable turns into surprise the moment we stop taking it for granted."

I need to be awake to stop taking the many gifts in my life for granted. Put that way, wakefulness is certainly worth the risk.

Today I will focus on my level of wakefulness, and how risk-taking can stretch me in positive ways.

Have a good day!

Comments