On Hoods and Hugs

Today I am grateful for hugs and for the cozy feeling I get when I put up the hoods on my favorite sweatshirts.

When the temperatures get cooler, I will often wear a sweatshirt around the house. When I was going though four rounds of chemo four years ago this month, I started putting the hoods up when I was wearing those sweatshirts. By then, I had lost my hair and it helped me feel warmer to have my hood up. It became a habit and it continues to comfort me. Some days, it also reminds me of what it was like going through cancer treatment. I think it is important, especially this month, to talk about the realities of cancer treatment. That can help keep the pink onslaught in perspective and remind us that breast cancer is not a feel-good pink ribbon. Breast cancer is, for many patients, months of tough treatments and surgery recoveries.

The hood makes me think of the hugs too. After my bilateral mastectomies, hugs at first had to be gentle. Then, as I healed physically, I started getting used to how hugs felt without breasts. You know what, they feel different, but they feel good.

I think back in appreciation at the tenderness shown to me by my young son (6 at the time) when he hugged me as I recovered. And the consideration shown to me by others, who knew without saying a word, that what I needed wasn't sympathy, just straight-up support.

Share a hug today.

Comments