On the Front Porch

Today I am grateful for my friends Betsy and Jill and our growing shared history. I am also grateful for the front porch of our house, and the back patio.

Saturday evening after sunset I sat on that front porch for a few minutes. The air was cooling down after a warm fall day. I had been on the go all day, so not surprisingly, after a few minutes I was dozing off. (When I slow down and sit still, I am usually drowsy in a matter of minutes. Sleep deprived perhaps?) Still, not a bad way to close out a good day.

Sunday morning as the sun was coming up through the trees, I spent a few solitary minutes on the porch again. Enjoying a cup of coffee, I took in the sights and sounds--birds, geese, cars, golfers, a gentle breeze starting to come up. Just sitting and taking it in. That can be a tall order for me because I always have so much I want to do and so much that needs to be done. I have to practice slowing down. Our front porch is a great place to do that.

My husband calls this porch an "oasis" and it really is. I thank him for the setting he creates with plants and furniture. I pledge to make better use of it.

Where is your slow down place?

Comments