Variety--The Spice of My Job

Today I am grateful for my husband Darcy and for the strong and consistent parent he is to all three of his children. 

I am also grateful for my job and the variety it offers on a daily basis. I had one of those days at work yesterday that left me exhausted, but also appreciative that one of my favorite things about my work is that no two days are alike. Sure, there are many mundane things I must take care of regularly, and year-in and year-out, but there is always plenty of variety in terms of what comes up with students and parents. I always learn from conversations I have, and I also am reminded of the valuable years of experience I have in this job, in this particular school. That experience comes through in many ways in many conversations.

I taught high school social studies for 10 years, was an elementary counselor for 2 years, and now have been a middle school counselor for 12 years. I was in 5 different schools in those first 12 years. Now, I have been in one school for the last 12 and am fully immersed in year 13. Each school was different and added to my variety of experience and I appreciate that. Being at one school now for a long stretch has both advantages and disadvantages, but I would have to give the nod to the advantages.

I am grateful for many apsects of my job, and when the ones that are more challenging come along, I try to remember the positive aspects.

What do you most appreciate about your job?

Comments