Breast Cancer's Lemonade

Today I am grateful for those sturdy little notebooks I can carry in my purse or backpack. If an idea comes to me for this blog or other writing endeavors, I can capture it before it flits away again.

I am also grateful for the wonderful women who come to the Hastings Breast Cancer Support Group. Some I have known for years now and consider friends.  There is honest sharing, true emotion, and usually at least a little laughter. I know it is cliche, but sometimes "when life gives you lemons, make lemonade" does ring true.

The women I have met in person and in the blogging world, some fellow BC patients, some not, since my own diagnosis in 2008, have made the lemon of cancer into a more palatable lemonade.

The sour lemons of cancer are many: fear, lost sense of youth and security, treatment and medication side effects, estrogen out of whack, double amputation, did I mention fear (of metastasis in particular)?

But the lemonade of connecting with women who have shared similar experiences, who share on a gut level, who face their fears on a daily basis, has been a real inspiration to me. In the last year or so I have also made more connections in the blogging world with those interested in the direction of the BC movement and the pitfalls of the entrenched pink ribbon culture. They are witty, snarky, intelligent, well-spoken, informative, actively working for change. They have taught me plenty. Though I have never met them in person, I feel like we are becoming friends through our words and sharing in the blogosphere.

Two big pitchers of lemonade from the sour lemons of breast cancer. Thank you to my buddies in support group and my connections in the blogosphere.

We are heading out of town for my niece's wedding so I won't be posting for the next three days. Instead, I will work to be alive and awake for the family time and the wedding festivities.

Have a good weekend! 

Comments