Spiritual Light or Human Darkness?

Today I am grateful for a bike ride at dusk yesterday. I felt the need for speed and fresh air, and the bike ride took care of both. I am also grateful for the spiritual advisors I have had over the course of my life.

I was thinking further about being spiritual beings on a human path. The human path I used to be on was a dark one. One of my favorite songs when I was growing up was "Sound of Silence" by Simon and Garfunkel. I listened to my older siblings' music and still love the late 60's and early 70's stuff. I listened to "Sound of Silence" on a 33 rpm album, often sitting on the floor next to one of the speakers in our stereo (you know the old stereos that looked more like a piece of furniture). The song struck a chord with me, the opening line of "Hello darkness my old friend, I've come to talk with you again" fit my young mind, sad to say. 

Darkness and self-pity were my default modes for years, even before I started drinking alcohol at age 14. When alcohol was added, the darkness and self-pity were compounded. My brain was not a friendly place, least of all for me. I didn't realize how much impact those negative thoughts and that darkness would have on me.  Not until some light started coming through at least.

Spiritual light. Guidance. Direction. Help from outside myself. Less self-hatred, more feelings of worthiness and acceptance. Hope and faith.

Left to my human devices, I chose negative thoughts, depressing music, and alcohol.

Given spiritual tools and using them has made all the difference. Today I choose the light.

My daily practice of gratitude is one of my crucial spiritual tools.  What are some of yours?

Comments