A Poem of Mine with Squirrels as Subject

Today I am grateful for sandals, oatmeal, and fellow writers. 

I am enjoying the challenge I gave myself for the month of April: write a poem (or more) each day. Here is a haiku I wrote after seeing the shadow of a squirrel. It was running across a telephone wire in our backyard and I noticed the shadow on our neighbor’s house in the morning sun. 

Squirrels

playful scurrying,
less cautious, more curious 
live large, despite size 

Squirrels entertain me as I observe them. Unless they are digging or chewing where they shouldn't be.  Squirrels will be squirrels, and I do appreciate their propensity for adventure and fun. 

I have several blog posts mentioning squirrels. Here is one titled Even Squirrels Have Stories from August 2019. These words below are from that post, resonating even more today in this world where current news is much about the pandemic and the Derek Chauvin trial. 

Every person and every living thing has a story. By honoring and telling our own stories, we open the door for others to do the same. By honoring all living things, by showing respect and kindness, we take better care of our natural world. Such honor and respect allows the wider story to continue.

And it all starts by simply noticing, paying attention. Pausing in this moment. What is my story today? What will I be adding to it?  What is your story? What is the story of the playful squirrel? I can tell you part of it because last evening we enjoyed the fast streak of it across the fairway and we smiled. We connected in a small way with one of the smaller creatures in our neighborhood.

Listen for stories today. Your own and those of other living beings. Listen with ears and with heart. 

Listen and observe today. Make note of what you see and feel in some way. Write a poem. Say a prayer. Spread a smile. Shed a tear. 

Comments