A Cardinal in Flight and Song

Living gratefully, I paused in a few moments of meditation and walked away more energized. I am thankful today for helpful assistants in medical/health settings.  

My sister Mary Jo has been on my mind more in recent weeks. She died in June 2019 of metastatic breast cancer (MBC). I remember thinking last year as the one year anniversaries of seeing her for the last time, her death, and her memorial service all came, how it all would have been so different with the pandemic circumstances. And I was absorbed and depleted by those pandemic circumstances too. 

So this year I feel as if I am in ways experiencing this time more fully than I did a year ago. Grief has a way of showing itself, as does the idea of honoring Mary Jo's life and not forgetting her. My other six sisters and I exchanged a few texts the other day with Mary Jo's presence felt. We spoke of sculpture gardens and baking and the music of the Moody Blues. Jo often was one to sing or hum along to whatever music was playing.

We also have some cardinals in our neighborhood. I think of Jo each time I hear them sing. And of our father and others. I went for a late afternoon run yesterday and it seemed one cardinal followed me for a block or so. That brought a smile to my face and I wondered how busy Mary Jo has been as guardian angel to many.

Here is a cardinal in song that I captured in our front yard a few weeks ago:


I appreciate moments of cardinal song, and I appreciate moments of connection with my sister Mary Jo. 

Comments