Onward! Onward.

Today I am grateful for a house and working heat to protect my family and I from the cold. It is one of the things I am reminded of as the seasons change, and something I tend to take for granted. I don't always enjoy the cold, but it has rarely been a threat to my safety like it is for the homeless and others.

As I sit here in my cozy home, snuggly warm in one of my favorite sweatshirts and sipping hot coffee, I ponder the word onward. Onward--so as to make progress, going further rather than coming to a halt or an end, moving forward, in a continuing forward direction.

I don't know when I started this, but I will sometimes end blog posts and social media comments and notes to others with an "Onward!"  I find it hopeful and motivating. Onward with an exclamation point carries an energy and a pep I appreciate. Onward!

Even when uncertain, or tired, or discouraged, onward is still possible. Sometimes it can just be an onward minus the exclamation point. Sometimes the exclamation point is too much and can be a bit irritating. Onward.

There are times when the closest I can come to moving forward is to simply be facing in the right direction. I'll take that. It may follow a time of regression, and I find relief in at least knowing the way back to a healthier place. It will take time, but I can see the goal.

Onward! Onward. Facing in the direction I wish to move when I am able. These all apply in my life, sometimes in the same day or hour. There is resilience in them all, and there is gratitude in the awareness.

What is your "onward" looking and feeling like today? Embrace it for what it is in this moment.




Comments