Everything or Nothing, Faith or Doubt

Today I am grateful for phone conversations with my friends Linda and Sheila yesterday. One helped start my day, the other to wind it down. I am also grateful for a bike ride with Darcy and some progress for Sam on college scholarship applications.

I was thinking about the Albert Einstein quote about either seeing nothing as a miracle, or everything as a miracle. Here is the full quote: "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." 

I considered that as I undertook the simple task of making coffee. Water from a faucet. Clean water at my convenience. Plenty of coffee. Money to buy it. A store nearby that stocks it. A percolator coffee pot made from steel and plastic parts. Steel mills. Steel workers. Iron mines. Electrical outlets in the wall to power the coffee pot and the lights I used to see my way at a dark time of the day.

A few minutes later, a cup to safely hold the hot, fresh brew. A little almond milk from the fridge to add, and my taste buds to enjoy the first sips. Plenty of little miracles in my mundane morning cup. 

I considered this exercise because I had woken up with faith and doubt on my mind. A strong faith builds enough trust to push doubt out, or at least minimize the doubt enough to not hold us back.

A strong faith. I have the tools for it. I don't always use them. It is my biggest challenge as a recovering alcoholic and an average human. The tool of living gratefully helps me find faith. It helped me this morning, and I will carry it with me into my day. Onward! 

Comments