Traffic Issues

Today I am grateful for a healthy perspective on work and an enjoyable time with my friend Betsy last evening.

I hope the healthy perspective prevails into the new school year. And it is always nice to see a good friend.

As I drove to work, and then later to visit Betsy, traffic issues confronted me. Traffic issues will happen, especially in the summer and at the height of road construction season. It reminds me of that often repeated joke around here: There are two seasons in Minnesota--winter and road construction.

Various construction and utility projects are narrowing my options to get to school. Detours can change from day to day. Yesterday, instead of following the marked detour I thought I could find my own way. I couldn't. But I did travel some new streets and I wasn't late for anything anyway.

When I left work for another part of the Cities, I not only hit some road construction, but also rush hour. I appreciated that I had some flexibility with my timeline, that I wasn't heading to an emergency or the drudgery of errands that you just want to get done. I was on my way to see a friend.

I could relax amid the slow downs, even appreciate the slowing down.  From an interesting podcast to music and musings, the miles were covered with more peace than impatience.

I can detour myself in various ways. I can get impatient in thought and action. Neither happened yesterday. The toughest issues I tend to face are the ones I create myself. I'll take some traffic issues.


Comments