Hidden in Our Chests

Today I am grateful for my five senses and for the happy memories of summer days in my childhood.

My five senses help me create memories in the here and now and they help me recall memories.

Summer days in my childhood carry some rich memories. The smell of freshly cut hay. The sound of the ball hitting the bat in a game of 500. The taste of Kool-Aid on a hot afternoon. The sight of ripe raspberries ready to be picked. The touch of cool air coming through an open window as we slept.

Memories can hide, and they can be drawn out. Memories can evoke a wide range of emotions and open doors for continued growth. Regardless of our age. Then new memories are shaped with our new perspective.

All of these random thoughts were sparked by this quote from the poet Rumi:

"What is love? Gratitude. What is hidden in our chests? Laughter. What else? Compassion." 

Our physical chests carry the vital organs of our hearts and lungs. Blood and air that nourish us. My chest used to be home to my breasts. Now scars abide there. This has made me both more vulnerable and more free.

Allow yourself some of that vulnerability today. Even embrace it. Love. Gratitude. Laughter. Compassion. Bring them out of hiding today. Share them with those around you. Have a good day!

Comments