Random Thoughts for a Monday

Today I am grateful for the gifts that come from recovery from alcoholism. They are many. I am also grateful for random reasons to pause and appreciate the ordinary.

I am not a regular church-goer, but I went yesterday. Our church's service was outside in the parking lot before we had our annual picnic. The sermon was about the best gifts we receive. I was sitting next to one of mine... my son Sam. And another one, my husband Darcy, was up in front doing his deacon duties. The gift of a healthy family is not a given, it's a treasure.

I appreciated my senses of hearing and touch, as I listened to the passing traffic and felt the cool air on my skin. I seem to be getting some different menopausal symptoms lately, so the coolness was  particularly welcome.

As our small congregation, out of our usual elements and without the louder organ, sang hymns more timidly, I appreciated Sam's meager efforts next to me. At least he was joining in. I was brought back to my youth, standing next to Mom in church while she sang along. It was a comforting memory.

This date, August 12, also marks the anniversary of my "last drunk." I drank after it, but this was a doozie. It was my last time intoxicated to that level when it becomes clear to everyone observing, except the drunk, that this person has a problem.

That was a few years ago, but I am advised to never forget my last drunk, so I pull it forward on days like this. Pull it forward to keep pushing me in my recovery efforts. Daily work for a daily disease.

That concludes today's random and rambling thoughts by Lisa. Have a good day!

Comments