Points 8 and 9: Friends, Faith, and Pens

Today I am grateful for cool sleeping weather and work days that are sanely paced.

Point of Clarity #8: "You can't beat having a friend by your side."
#9: "Faith and a pen can trump pain and despair. "

My friend and former coworker Jenny is the friend I had by my side for many months in the thick of all things cancer. First, as we each faced our BC diagnoses a month apart, then the next months of surgeries, decisions, and treatment options pursued.

Then, in the next year, the time we spent collaborating on our book idea and writing it. We both stretched ourselves as writers and supported one another. Our friendship was such a deep blessing at that time and remains one today.

I was sharing conversation the last couple of days with two of my dearest recovery friends. Together, we share nearly 70 years of recovery between us. We have gained more ground than we've lost in those years, though between us we have had our share of challenges. Friends by my side in recovery make all the difference.

My friend Sheila, who I have known for 40 years now, has been on my side the whole time, and by my side figuratively and literally through some of my toughest times, starting with my alcoholic drinking as a teen.  An old friend is a wonderful kind of friend.

Having friends to commiserate with, talk about the nitty-gritty and the good/bad/ugly with, has made a huge difference over the course of my life, and Higher Power/Great Spirit seems to have an amazing sense of timing.

It is one of the things that has brought me trust and hope and strengthened my faith. People show up in my life in ways that cannot be explained as simple chance.

Writing ties it all together. I use a computer a lot now, but I write pen to paper daily when I write in my gratitude journal. And I often write about these connections with friends, family, and the stuff of life that brings it the most meaning.

As my family has faced the onslaught of cancer, and as Mary Jo received a terminal diagnosis, got sicker and died, my writing and ongoing faith have helped me through it all.

Write on. Live on today.

Comments