There's Today and There's Three Years Gone

Today I am grateful for the nice Halloween evening Darcy and I shared, the lovely weather, and a nice downtown event in our community.

I feel tired this morning, from a lack of sleep and from a draining time at work. This is when I can find it harder to live gratefully, and when I most need the positive energy and healthy perspective it brings me. So I appreciate the habits I have that help me move through such times.

And I return to what matters most. It's not my job. It's my family and friends, faith and recovery, running and writing. Today is the third anniversary of the death of my brother-in-law Roger, from early onset Lewy body dementia.

My sister Danita, his wife, celebrated her birthday yesterday and marks this sad anniversary today.
New babies are on the way in our family. My mom has advancing dementia. My sister Mary Jo has advanced cancer. This is how life goes.

Read more about Roger and the precious and fragile nature of life in these two posts:

A Wide Embrace and "Doing a Roger." from 11/1/17

No More Birthdays from 9/22/16

Life is indeed precious. It can be frighteningly fragile. And it can be so very awe-inspiring and amazing and grace-filled. Tired or not, I return to a moment's pause, seeking the gratitude that resides here. I reaffirm my priorities, keep my job in perspective, and proceed with my day.

Onward! I am off to "do a Roger" and take Oliver for a walk.

Comments

  1. Thank you Lisa. I have such wonderful memories. I miss him.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment