It Keeps You Runnin'

Today I am grateful for several ways to connect with loved ones across the miles. And for reminders that the person who gets in my way the most is me.

I am a music lover and it's not unusual for a song to come to mind for one reason or another. The other day, on my 4th run in 4 days, it was the Doobie Brothers' song It Keeps You Runnin'.  I exercise for many reasons, and this weekend one reason was to try to keep pace with my eating.

The eating won, but I still got my usual rewards--endorphins, a clearer head, a body thanking me in more ways than one, writing ideas, and that overall good feeling post-workout. I sang the refrain a few times as I made my way through my hour of one stride at a time. Then, yesterday it came on the radio on my commute to work.

It is from 1976 and was written by Michael McDonald. It is also, fittingly, part of the Forrest Gump movie soundtrack. If you listen to more than the refrain, it seems that it is also about someone running from their feelings. I like to think of my running as helping me to and through my emotions, not avoiding them. So there's another way that running keeps me running--healthier emotions.

What else keeps me running, provides the right kind of energy?  Living gratefully and writing. I am off to a decent start to the day today because I have given time to both of these.

What keeps you running, in the healthy sense of the word?

Comments