The Story and the Music of Queen

Today I am grateful for the daily opportunities I have to expand my recovery from alcoholism and my spiritual growth. I am also grateful for the people in recovery who share their wisdom and hope with me.

Now, back to the movie we saw Saturday night. Darcy and I saw previews for Bohemian Rhapsody this summer and knew it was one we would want to see. We grew up enjoying the music of Queen. We knew if nothing else we would enjoy the music.

We got much more than great music though. It follows the band from their early days through their incredible performance at Live Aid in 1985. There is literally so much behind the music that we never know, and in being shown it we have a deeper connection to the music and the musicians.

Freddie Mercury is the central figure, but I felt the movie did a good job of highlighting all band members, their relationships with one another, and those who supported them along the way. There were many lines in the movie that were poignant, humorous, fitting.  I especially liked this one:

"We're four misfits who don't belong together, we're playing for other misfits. They're the outcasts right at the back of the room. We're pretty sure they don't belong either. We belong to them." 
(Freddie Mercury, from the movie Bohemian Rhapsody)

Not everyone believed in Queen. Not everyone was willing to take the risks they were. And yet, they took the risks and got the support and we have the legacy of songs like "Bohemian Rhapsody," "We Will Rock You/We Are the Champions," and "Another One Bites the Dust."

My personal favorites besides the ones above are "Play the Game," "Under Pressure," "Somebody to Love" and "You're My Best Friend."

The story of Queen and of Freddie Mercury truly is one of misfits finding their way. And another example of the pain and emotional struggle that many great minds and performers face. I am guessing we have each felt like a misfit a time or two. When we find common ground with other misfits, great things can come to pass, or little things that help us through a tough day.

Comments