Recovery Connections Matter

Today I am grateful for the variety of sounds that I am hearing as I pause to take them in. They are soothing in their own ways. I am also grateful for fingers that work as I type.

In a day's time, it is important that I take actions to preserve ongoing sobriety and recovery. Some of those actions are mine to take alone. Prayers and meditation. Writing in my gratitude journal. But connections with others traveling the same road of physical and emotional sobriety make my day when they come along.

Some I seek out, some seek me out. It might be email connections, or a text or video message. It might be people in my neighborhood...a friend who lives a street over, waving on his way past our house. Or my friend down the street. I'll stop by for a hug and a visit in her backyard when I see her out. Or I will walk a few minutes to another recovery friend's house, then we will walk and talk together.

Recovery connections matter. But I also very much appreciate the support I get for my recovery from the "normies" in my life. My husband and family, friends new and old, those who I have connected with for other reasons, but who I connect with on this too.

Some of these connections I am intentional about, others seem to come along just when I need them. A Great Spirit conducting the business of helping humans help each other, on a physical plane as well as other planes of existence.

I tried to quit drinking on my own. Many times, over and over. It didn't work. I don't try to recover on my own. I am open to help and guidance, mutual trust and honesty shared.

Recovery connections matter. All connections matter, weaving a web of support for each of us.

Comments