Broken People Helping Broken People

Today I am grateful for a good training run with Darcy yesterday and a good novel to immerse myself in for a mind break.

I also have ongoing gratitude for fellow recovering alcoholics who support me in my recovery. I was talking with some of them recently and someone mentioned how we are all broken people. Not just alcoholics and addicts, but all of us.

Broken people. None of us is perfect, none of us have been left unscathed by life, by circumstances dealt to us, and choices we have made and continue to make ourselves.

I appreciate the open discussion of our humanness when among others working to stay sober, to clear the wreckage left by years of using and abusing, years of beating ourselves up. We keep things real and that really helps. Because we have common ground and shared emotions, we also have trust and a safe place to share.

I am blessed with others in my life who aren't alcoholics or addicts, but are just as real and just as safe to share with.

I trust genuine people sharing genuine pain and progress. Broken people helping broken people. It gets messy at times, but it is also the stuff of deepest gratitude.

Thank you to those in my life who help me feel less broken, more whole. You are true blessings.

Comments