A Devoted and Tenacious Father

Today I am grateful for a cooling morning breeze to give us a little break on a sultry day. I am also grateful to my dad and the father and grandfather he was. I  miss him and I strive to honor his legacy and memory.

I have been observing, in action, my husband Darcy as a father for over twenty years now. He was already father to Arthur, now 27, and Emily, now 23, when I first met him. I have been impressed with so much of what I have watched and witnessed in Darcy as a father, and in our partnership as parents to our son Sam, now 16.

He is both devoted and tenacious. He is unwavering in his love for his children and the effort that he gives to supporting them in a wide variety of ways. We don't always agree on everything when it comes to parenting, but we share the priorities of instilling and exemplifying crucial values and in being genuine in our love and support.

This is a recent picture of Darcy and his three children. Some of you have seen it, but it is worth seeing again. In the middle, Darcy anchors the picture and so much more.



I looked further at the picture and the surroundings. There have indeed been rocky times for us all and for Arthur and Emily as they made their way into adulthood. Darcy's tenacity and loyal devotion to his kids has helped everyone in this family move forward and stay fairly grounded. 

He is also one to build bridges, to keep connections strong. These help undergird our strength as a family. 

And now Darcy reaps the joy of this all as a grandpa to Leo and Aaron. 

Tenacious. Persistent and consistent. Determined. Tireless. Steadfast. Unwavering. Darcy is all of these in fatherhood.

In ways, Darcy has been in uncharted territory as a father. Steering a different course than the one shown to him by his own father. It is a course that continues to impress me, that continues to bring us the true meaning of family.

Devoted. Tenacious. And much loved and respected. Thank you Darcy! 

Comments