Quiet

Today I am grateful for the story my husband Darcy shared last night in a talk he gave at church. I learned more about him and his childhood as I listened.

I was listening to him at "Light the Way," an event our church puts on two Sunday evenings a month. It includes Christian rock music (thanks to the musicians too!) and someone sharing a little about their own faith journey. I got to be quiet and listen, quiet in my head and also in my heart.

So let's make quiet today's word. It is a word I am enjoying learning about and practicing more. It used to be fairly elusive to me. I couldn't enjoy the quiet because my mind continued to race. I couldn't quiet my mind because fears, worries, and self-pity kept it spinning.

I am learning to quiet my mind through prayer and meditation. I am learning to let go of fears and worries by staying present and mindful. Gratitude practice helps me quiet my mind. I will never do it perfectly, but I am making progress and enjoying more moments of quiet contentment than ever before.

The early morning quiet is one of my favorite times of the day. The house is quiet. The freshness and hope of a new day awaits. The trick is to rein in my mind before it takes off at full speed. Sitting down to create a blog post surrounding the topic of gratitude is a productive way for me to cultivate a quiet mind with which to head into my day. Some days the mind stays quieter than others, but I am understanding it more than I used to. For that I am truly grateful.

Another challenge when it comes to quiet for me is keeping quiet when what may come out of my mouth would be counterproductive at the least. That can be the toughest quiet for me to maintain when I am spun up and my ego is disportionately large and I think what I have to say needs to be said. That is exactly the time when what I feel is so urgent is probably what I should keep to myself. I am learning in this area too, with the help of others and my faith.

Quiet is a beautiful sound. Seek some today.

Comments