Quaff

Today I am grateful for a good matinee to enjoy yesterday afternoon in "August: Osage County." I am also grateful for daily recovery from alcoholism and the people who support me in it.

The second "q" word I chose was quaff. I found it as I leafed through the "Q" in my trusty hard-cover dictionary. I was not familiar with quaff at all. It means to drink deeply, such as quaffing a beverage. But I like the broader consideration I can give to quaff, to drinking deeply of gratitude, of life.

This morning, I wouldn't want to quaff the air as I step outside with our dog Oliver. It is too cold to quaff air. It would be painful.

But on a hot August day after mowing the lawn, you might find me quaffing some ice cold water. I yearn for a warm August day after so many days this month in the deep freeze. I know, I know. Come August, I will complain because it is too hot. Oh well, I am still grateful to live in a locale with the beauty and perplexity of the changing seasons.

I used to quaff alcohol. Large quantities in a short period of time some nights. I was going for the effect produced by alcohol. Also known as escape. I am grateful I survived those nights. Some do not. I could have been a statistic, long gone. Instead, I am alive and well today.

Alive and well. Quaff that.

Comments