Oncologist

Today I am grateful for my job and for the good roads on which I can drive to and from work.

My second "o" word is oncologist, and I am very appreciative of mine. An oncologist is a medical doctor who specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of cancer. People don't want an oncologist like we might want a hair stylist or a personal trainer. But if we need to have an oncologist, we sure want a good one, just like we want a good dentist or surgeon. I have a good one, and for that I am truly grateful.

I just saw my oncologist yesterday for my latest 6-month check. I have felt comfortable with her since the first time I met her, in early June of 2008, just days after my breast cancer diagnosis. A bulk of her patients are BC patients, so that keeps her in tune with the latest developments. She is recognized in our large metro area as one of the best of the best. I didn't pick her for those reasons, I picked her because she was recommended to me by my surgeon. Obviously, he had good reasons for suggesting her.

She is straightforward and calm. I find her matter-of-fact approach, combined with her warm demeanor, to be a good fit for me. That may have been more crucial in those first appointments, but it remains important today. Even though I am one of many patients she must see on any given day, she always takes time to sit and chat a bit before she does her brief exam, and she always takes the time to listen to my questions. I always have questions.

I respect my oncologist and I feel the respect she has for me as a patient and as a person. I like her, but I am also happy to report that I don't need to see her for a year. That is a post-cancer milestone I am thankful for. But not as much as I am thankful for this day, for every day.

Every time I walk in and then back out of the cancer center, I have a deep sense of gratitude. I am reminded of the two deadly diseases that have touched my life, but that I am fortunate to be given the gift of this day. I will go try to make something of it. I encourage you to do the same.

Comments

  1. Amen! The more I practice gratitude the more I find to be grateful for. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment