Large

Today I am grateful for sunshine and an outdoor run with Darcy. I am also grateful for the positive experience our son Sam had with wrestling this year, thanks to his coaches and teammates.

Yesterday's post got me thinking about the word large: as in large-framed person. I am one. Petite would not describe me. I have a newspaper clipping from 31 years ago where a sports reporter refers to me as a large-framed gal. I am not taking issue with the accuracy of the description. I probably came in around 160 pounds at that time in my life, so I wasn't your typical looking distance runner.

The mention paid me a nice compliment, but also bothered me at age 17. Who isn't self-conscious and feeling less than confident about their bodies at 17? Here are the reporter's words:

"My favorite Monday was South Winn's Lisa Holthaus. The SW track team is only about seven in number, but Holthaus was a diamond in the rough. She won the discus and one look at her, a coach or fan might say she can't run the 800 meters. The large-framed gal not only ran the 800 but won it in 2:27.5, six seconds faster than her nearest competitor. She's one fine performer and a treat to watch."

I'm still not a typical looking distance runner, But that is what I love about running. Anyone who wants to run and is able to, can simply proceed. I have seen all shapes and sizes in marathons and other races and I think to myself "good for you" to anyone who is out there. Sadly, I knew high school distance runners who struggled with eating disorders as they tried to keep a lower racing weight. I guess I had enough confidence in myself as a runner, and some success, that if I was going to run, it was going to be on my terms.

I would love to have had that race captured on video, but it's not. I still have it captured in my head though, and for that I am grateful.

I came across this clipping a few years ago, after Darcy and I had started running marathons. I made a copy of it and put it in our marathon file so I see it more often now. It continues to motivate me, even with 11 marathons already behind me.

I wish I weighed 160 pounds now. The last three decades have added a few pounds. But I run on.Run to eat. Eat to run. And I don't make too harsh of a critique of myself. It is all about the benefits of exercise. They are many, regardless of a person's physique. Just keep moving.

I mentioned the other day that I keep A LOT. This news clipping is one that I am glad I saved and came across years later.

Comments