H.O.R.S.E.

Today I am grateful for the opportunity to celebrate recovery and sobriety with others. I am also grateful for the simple fun of games like H.O.R.S.E.

I know it's a little stretch, but my "H" word today is H.O.R.S.E. Not the animal. The basketball game.If you are unfamiliar with it, you take turns shooting baskets. If someone makes a basket, the next person has to make it. If that person misses it, they get a letter for each miss. The first person to spell out H.O.R.S.E. is the loser. If they make the shot, the next person has to make it and so on. We sometimes played a shorter version-P.I.G.  Or in tight games we may have decided to add an "S" to extend the game to H.O.R.S.E.S.

I recall playing this game often with siblings. There may have just been a couple of us, or four or five of us. We had indoor and outdoor versions. The indoor version was played in our barn in the winters. There was enough space for a hoop and shooting area so we could keep playing year-round. It was a bit more challenging in the barn, because there wasn't a typical backboard. In the warmer months, we played at a hoop/backboard mounted on a pole between our house and the chicken coop.

I recall arguments, sore losers, snickering when someone got to H.O.R. and also lots of fun. Some of us were more competitive than others. And the moods could change from day to day. But I am thankful for the game of H.O.R.S.E. How it helped hone my basketball shooting skills. How it taught me life skills about getting along with others and following the rules. And how it offered simple fun and friendly competition (usually) for a bunch of energetic kids.

Do you have a childhood game you remember fondly?

Comments