Lists

Today I am grateful for a couple of good phone conversations yesterday and for being able to cut myself some slack on the expectations I have for myself.

Lists and I have a close relationship. I have been a list-maker as long as I can remember. I don't trust my memory, so when I think of something that needs to be done, I write it down, or give myself some kind of tangible reminder. Then I can put it out of my mind for the time being. I am afraid I will forget something, but if I put it on paper, I know I will get back to it.

I tend to make different lists for home and work, and I will often end up with multiple lists in both places. That can get a little confusing and overwhelming, but I also find it a pleasant experience to look at a list and tick off one thing after another that is now done, or to be able to throw away a list.A bit sad, I know.

Do lists help or hinder me? It's hard to tell. It's some of both. But it's a habit I don't see changing any time soon.

My friend Jill gave me a good idea to help keep my lists from taking over my life and my daily attempt to know some peace. Instead of doing "to-do" lists all the time, try a "done" list instead. I did this in writing one day and by mid-morning there were already 30 things on it. It changed my approach to my day that day. Yesterday, I woke up and my head was already off to the races with everything I was hoping to accomplish. I remembered Jill's idea and started keeping a "done" list in my head. I could feel myself calming down, being kinder with myself. I remained productive, but I didn't run myself into the ground.

One thing I am happy to have on my "done" list early most days is completing a blog post and publishing it. Have a good day!

Comments