Spiritual Priorities

Today I am grateful for a good book in The War I Finally Won and a good movie in "Just Mercy." The book and the movie were good places to put thoughts and energy this weekend. 

My husband Darcy, an ordained deacon in the Episcopal Church, used the phrase "spiritual priorities" in the sermon he gave yesterday. Whenever I walk away from a sermon with more to consider, the preacher has done their job. Thanks Darcy!

It gave me pause. What are my spiritual priorities? 

*Remembering that I am a spiritual being on a human path, not vice versa, is a good place to start.

*Then taking the all-important time to connect with my Higher Power, Universe, Friend, Knowing, God. I know this Source is always with me, but I forget, and I get in my own way often, so I need to make conscious effort to have conscious contact. 

*This happens in numerous ways, and can be as brief as a pause. Meditation time to listen and seek. Prayer time to talk and ask. Open awareness to keep tapped into the bountiful evidence of grace and gratefulness that are all around.

*Did I mention get out of my own way? Overthinking and overdoing are the main ways I disconnect from Great Spirit. I do plenty of worrying, controlling, and managing in my head. It becomes about me. That is ego, and wrong-sized ego is pretty much the opposite of faith. 

*Appreciate Nature. It is always there to provide awe and stability for me. By stable, I mean that it always serves to surround me with a wider sense of being and a knowing that I am not alone, nor am I in charge of much at all.

*Take actions each day to be true to the person I was created to be. At home, at work, among fellow recovering alcoholics, in my own thoughts. Wherever I am, showing up with compassion and kindness.

*Using the various terms I do to describe this Power outside of myself is also a priority for me. They each call to my heart and soul in a little different way, opening me to more transformation.

That's a random list, but it adds up to an active faith and a loving Higher Power to share the day ahead. 

Comments

  1. This post really struck me from Spiritual Priorities (with thanks to your husband), but mainly your list points dealing with "spiritual being on human path", and because I am so stuck there myself, getting in my own way, overthinking, overdoing... Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your comment. "Stuck" is a word I understand all too well. It is hard work to get unstuck, but so liberating. I could never do that work alone because I don't have perspective on it until I can step away, get out of the way, and see it for what it is. Thanks and have a good day!

      Delete

Post a Comment