Rumi's Words Translated

If you are irritated by every rub, how will you be polished?  

-Rumi-

Many have appreciated the writings and wisdom of Rumi for seven centuries. Language is an amazing thing. Rumi wrote mostly in Persian, but the meaning is not lost in translation.

Words are translated in different languages and in different hearts. My interpretation: If I get frustrated often when things don't go my way, if I lack acceptance of circumstances beyond my control, I miss opportunities to learn and grow. I become more dull rather than more polished. I shine less because a narrow mind didn't reach for the polishing cloth.

I see this in my job setting as well. Young people who are protected from disappointment, failure, and natural consequences begin to suffer the same dullness. It looks like lack of confidence and/or stress and anxiety. They don't believe they can handle difficult things because they weren't given their own polishing cloths. Here's the rub parents: Consider if you are regularly doing things for your child that they should be doing for themselves.

Insight Timer, one of the meditation apps I use, has quotes that pop up each time the app is opened. Rumi showed up there recently too:

Close your ears and listen? Sounds confusing at first glance. Then I realize that I am being advised to go within and listen with the "ears of my heart."  A heart I trust more and more. 

How is your heart translating Rumi's words today? 


Comments