Mysticism

Word for the Day 

Mysticism is the experience, not talking or thinking about it, but the actual experience of Oneness with all.

(Br. David Steindl-Rast)

Oneness. Isn't that a unifying, chasm-crossing word? Isn't that something our world, small scale and large scale, could use now and always? I picked up my coffee and took a sip. I considered the Oneness of the soil and weather that produced the coffee, all the way to the ground coffee I put in our Keurig, with water from a convenient faucet, to make that fresh cup of brew I just enjoyed sipping. 

I asked myself, would I even recognize a coffee plant if I saw one?  Probably not. Here's a picture of a field full of coffee plants:

Photo from Specialty Coffee Association

It's safe to say that this field is many hundreds of miles from my home. Mysticism all along the way. There is much I have already experienced this morning, and throughout my day, that I can do with a sense of mysticism. Of course, writing about it is one step removed from the actual experience, but for me it serves to deepen the moment.

Oxford Languages provides further definition of mysticism: the spiritual apprehension of knowledge inaccessible to the intellect, may be attained through contemplation and self-surrender. 

And here’s a description of mystic: making an effort to gain spiritual knowledge through prayer, deep thought, meditation.

I guess that makes me a mystic in pursuit of mysticism. Something to contemplate anyway. 

Comments