Get Out There!

Living gratefully today, I appreciate the secure layers of clothing I have available to add from head to toe that keep me safe outdoors in subzero temperatures. I am also grateful for the enticing smell of bacon cooking.

My neighborhood squirrel friends were up to their usual fascinating frolicking yesterday morning. This one was way out on a limb:


In case it is hard to see, let me paint the picture for you. The squirrel is hanging upside down on a pretty flimsy branch less than a foot from where the branch ends. It took some risks, got what it wanted, then headed back to safer territory. If squirrels had egos, this one was probably feeling pretty good about itself in those moments. 

Taking some risks. Getting out there beyond one's comfort zone. This is the squirrel's lesson for me and you.  In these frigid temperatures, it could simply mean bundling up and getting out there for some fresh air. Fresh air always helps me. Always. 

Maybe the squirrel is inviting us to do more than just get outside and beyond ourselves. Maybe it is inviting us to consider taking healthy risks, to alleviate the dangers of comfortable complacency.  Healthy risks await me regularly when it comes to my writing pursuits. I need to step out further. I need to get out there! With healthy risks comes healthier ego. And a good dose of worthiness. 

Where in your life could you use a friendly nudge from this little squirrel?  Get out there!  

Comments