Consecutive

Consecutive: following one after the other without an interruption; continuous

Consecutive came to mind this morning as I completed a meditation on Insight Timer for the 100th consecutive day. The app was tracking it for me, but I noticed as the days started to build. The last time I had a consecutive stretch going, I made it to 70. I intentionally broke the streak that time as a little test for myself. 

Was it more about keeping the streak alive or keeping the practice alive?  That last time, I didn't trust myself just yet. I am notorious (in my own mind) for being persistent and consistent about certain things. That is not always a good thing. 

This time, without a doubt, and with trust in my heart, it is more about the practice. Daily meditation has become just that--daily. Even if I don't use an app on my phone, I know better how to tune into my breathing, take a timely pause, repeat a helpful phrase, let a thought go, identify a current emotion. I am better able to go inward and check the weather. 

Practice makes progress possible, and this is a practice that is now a habit for me. Just like my living gratefully practices. Just like regular exercise. Just like writing blog posts.

I have also been in recovery from alcoholism for 11,820 days. Some of those days were the toughest of my life, and not because I wanted a drink. Because I got more hung up on doing than being. There's a simple saying that fits here: "Don't count the days, make the days count."

I also know it takes me over 40,000 strides to complete a marathon. Mostly consecutive, not continuous, always forward-moving. I have had some inspired and joy-filled strides in my marathons, and some exhausted and painful ones too. I kept going. "Forward is a pace." Crossing the finish line is always worth each step.

Getting caught up in numbers, doing, accomplishments, and streaks can all be slippery slopes for me. Instead, I focus on the consecutives that matter most: being given my next breath, a fresh sunrise, and another moment, hour, day to live in humble grace and gratitude. 

Comments