Replicating and Mutating

Today I am grateful for the amazing scientists and researchers who bring us such helpful information about COVID-19 and who are working so hard to make vaccines readily available.

The information they bring isn't always easy to hear or welcome, but I am a realist. I would rather know what we are up against than put my head in the sand in denial.  

Dr. Anthony Fauci is one such doctor. He calls it like he sees it and he speaks to us non-scientific sorts in language that we can understand. He is the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease and has been since 1984, only becoming a household name since COVID came on the scene a year ago.  

Here is something he said in a January 22 White House Briefing:

" . . . because as long as the virus is out there replicating, viruses don't mutate unless they replicate. And if you can suppress that by a very good vaccine campaign, then you can actually avoid this deleterious effect that you might get from the mutations.” 

Viruses mutate. That is part of what happens as they replicate. It is what happens to our own cells at times too, such as when a cancer begins. But when a virus finds millions and millions of hosts, the replicating takes place on a massive scale and the mutations come more quickly in terms of time.  

What Dr. Fauci is basically saying is this: COVID is being given ample opportunity for these small variations in replication to lead to mutations, and on this large scale, some of these variants are concerning. They are becoming more and more concerning. We need to pay attention. 

This image captures this all well.  (I couldn't find the original source of the image though.)


 As I read and heard this, I considered two things:

1. The importance of continuing to do my part to prevent and mitigate the spread of COVID. We can't let up on our efforts because the vaccines are here. If we let up, there is more replicating and mutating that can happen.  I will get the vaccine as soon as I am able. (I am ready, the able part is being held up by unfortunate vaccine shortages and supply issues.) In the meantime, I will do what I can to be part of the solution. 

2. This process of replicating and mutating can apply to my own thought processes and emotions too. It's less scientific, more emotional and mental. It fits though. Unhealthy and toxic thoughts, allowed to spin and replicate do indeed become deleterious to the hosts: my own heart, soul, and mind. 

What is my vaccine for such thoughts? Quiet meditation. Staying present. Living gratefully. Banishing the negativity that has gone viral within. Love and service. It's a slower process than science's vaccines, but no less effective. 

Onward!  I'll do my part. Will you do yours?  



Comments