A Real Shot in the Arm

Today I am grateful to have received my first vaccine dose last evening, and I thank my husband Darcy for driving and accompanying me. 

I went to a community vaccination site at the Minneapolis Convention Center, where on average 8,000 people or more are vaccinated each day of operation. And what an operation. Joining a line at 5:15 p.m., I became part of what felt like a big worm slowly weaving its way to a real shot in the arm.

A big worm taking on a little virus that just happens to have had a huge impact and devastating toll on our state, nation, world. Add it to the list of surreal experiences in the last year. Mostly educators, some people talked, and I even briefly saw a colleague of mine. But we were mostly meandering along quietly, behind our masks, on our phones or reading books. 

I wasn't really nervous until I got to the room with the 60 or so tables where people were administering shots. Nervous because I had to sit and wait a few extra minutes while the computer at my table decided to be difficult. Nervous for a few brief moments considering the what-ifs of bad reactions to the shot.

Mostly I was just relieved to be there and so appreciative of the shot that will take me a step closer to a different sort of freedom and relief, and will take us all one person closer to herd immunity. It has been quite a year overall. It has been quite a school year at my school. I wondered what trials and tribulations that group of educators I walked with could have told. 

It was 6:18 p.m. when I received my injection and 6:33 when I walked out to rejoin Darcy.  I wanted to skip or pump my fist or something, but it didn't seem appropriate as I made my way past the people in line still making their way to a table for their injection moment. 

If you could have seen my face though, you would have seen a smile. 

Like I have done on marathon routes, I thanked the workers and volunteers along this route. 

I feel fine this morning, not even a sore arm, and I feel tremendous gratitude. There are so many people to thank. From scientists who created this and other vaccines, to those who are manufacturing and transporting it. Those who were pointing us in the right direction last evening, and the kind and patient health care workers who were administering the doses and checking us out before we walked out the doors. 

I got a literal shot in the arm yesterday, and the gratefulness is another real shot in the arm. Thank you to all who are working so hard to help us through these times. 

Comments