Breathe and Blessings

Today I am grateful for Sam giving a speech to Darcy and I last evening that he had earlier in the day given for his teacher and classmates in one of his last high school classes. I remain deeply grateful for recovery, a daily gift it would be dangerous for me to take for granted. I am also grateful for goofiness.

When family and friends think of me, I don't think goofy is a word that probably tops their list. It doesn't top my own, or even crack the top 10. Maybe I should work on that. Here is a feeble attempt:


And here’s the story.  My dear friend Jill gave me this sleep mask years ago, as I navigated the stress and anxiety of a cancer diagnosis, surgeries, and treatment. Just breathe Lisa, just breathe. I don’t wear it for sleep, but I do keep it in a place I see daily, if I am paying attention.

Yesterday, as we chatted on Marco Polo with another friend, I decided to don the mask and act a little silly. I even checked to see if it could double as a face mask. It’s a tad bit small . . . My mouth is too big :-). (My husband and son, and my siblings growing up, can attest to the fact that I indeed can have a big mouth at times.) 

The blessings of friends to be silly and vulnerable with. The reminder to breathe. Just breathe. Onward!

Comments