B +, Be Positive, and a Winning Combo

Today I am grateful for graham crackers and frosting, birds that visit our patio, and the peace in brief pauses.

Today's birthday wish goes out to my brother-in-law Clay. Happy Birthday Clay and have a special day!  I am thinking of you on this first birthday without Mary Jo, this grieving time you are in.

After donating blood a couple of weeks ago, I found out my blood type. I knew it at one time, and I am sure I have it noted somewhere, but it had slipped my mind. (Like many things have in my fifties.) Too many letters and signs to keep straight.

It didn't register when I got the email a couple days ago, but it did when my husband, son, and I talked about it briefly yesterday. Isn't it fitting that my type is B+?  Be positive. Some would say I am known for my optimism and efforts to live gratefully. (They don't live in my head, but still . . .)  B+ is also less common than other types. Fitting with my lifelong struggle with "terminal uniqueness."

B+. Be Positive. It does work, and it only works because the basis of it for me is living gratefully, finding the gifts in each day. Yes, I go looking for them, the practice and discipline matter. But they also find me regularly, when my mind is slowed and my heart open.

A different kind of winning combination found me last night when my sweet tooth was looking for a treat. Graham crackers and frosting, and wash it down with some milk. Delightful.



That's all it takes. Pause to appreciate the flavor combination and the memories of childhood birthday cakes. The birthday kid got the frosted graham cracker from the top of the angel food cake Mom had made from scratch. Wow...there was a string of blessings right there.

Let's each look to string some more blessings together today. Thread some humble joy.

Comments