Warming Up From the Inside

Living gratefully today, I say a heartfelt thank you to all currently serving in our military, and all who served in the centuries and decades past. I embrace the freedom and security they won and continue to protect.

I braved some chilly temperatures yesterday afternoon to take a brisk bike ride around our beautiful city. Properly layered and attired, I was well-prepared, but the wind still went through me as I started out. Pedaling along, I began to warm up from the inside. The movement and exertion generated body heat and I was cozy and comfortable temperature-wise. It was a pleasant feeling.

Warming up from the inside. It happens in times of grief and emotional struggles too. I shut myself off in ways--fear, selfishness, ego, and more. I distance myself from Great Spirit and block the efforts of others who are offering comfort and wisdom. Sometimes it takes strenuous and vulnerable toil to get me out of the way,  allowing the heat source to start getting through. I thaw out and can grow some more.

As a citizen of the United States, I have the blessings of freedom. I am warm and secure in my home this morning. As a spiritual being on a human path, I can warm myself from the inside, set myself free from stunted and painful emotions, by doing the work it takes and accepting the help offered. Some of that help always comes from a power beyond human.

Warming up from the inside, whether through physical or emotional and spiritual exercise, is a peaceful feeling.

Comments