Loose Garments

Today I am grateful for the beauty of the waning crescent moon in the early morning sky and for some recliner time to start my day viewing the sunrise.

Yesterday I mentioned the wisdom others in recovery share with me. One of those pieces of wisdom recently shared was the line about "wearing the world as a loose garment."  A little research yielded that the full phrase is "Wear the world as a loose garment, which touches us in a few places and there lightly." It is attributed to St. Francis of Assisi.

Don't hang on too tightly. Don't try too hard. More acceptance. Fewer expectations. Let go of what I can't control; most everything besides my own attitude and actions. Embrace vulnerability and spirituality. Let go some more.

Be open to humility and grace. Continue accepting more and expecting less. Lighten up. Unburden. Stop beating the heck out of yourself. Cease the relentless overdoing and overthinking.

Those are the typical thoughts, and good reminders, called to my mind and heart when hearing "loose garments."  But when I heard the comment the other day, my sister Mary Jo is who came to mind first. Thinner and weaker from the cancer growing in various places in her body, her clothes are baggy and slack.

She is literally in loose garments. And figuratively too, as the cancer wears her down. What are her thoughts and feelings? She has shared some. Others are hers alone.

What are my thoughts and feelings about it all?  Some are emerging in these posts. Others are still working their way through. If I wear the world as a loose garment today, more will be revealed.

Comments