"God with skin on."

Living gratefully, I notice the presence of a Great Spirit in my own spiritual practices and in the faces and faith of others.

The daily work I try to do for my daily disease of alcoholism is made "easier" because of the people who share their recovery wisdom and grace with me, who share their laughter and their tears with me. I see both their joy and pain in their faces and hear it in their voices.

It is such humble grace and a true gift to know people on this level, on this common ground of addiction and recovery, of hope and new beginnings.

My growth as a human with an increasing understanding of humility, in the good sense, are keys to knowing some peace and serenity in my days. I am my worst enemy, my biggest obstacle. Always have been and probably always will be. Call it ego, call it self-centeredness. Call it what it is-forgetting to seek the support of a Higher Power.

I like the line "I need God with skin on." That is what I have among my recovery friends. People who say what I need to hear. People who show me what honesty and effort can yield. Coincidences orchestrated by a force beyond those of us with two feet on the ground play out time and time again when I have an open mind and heart.

All of this is proof to me that there is a power greater than me, greater than any of us, that is present and working for us all. I find peace and comfort in that.

And as long as I keep myself out of the way, I see and feel the presence of this power, I see "God with skin on" all around me.

Random thoughts by Lisa today. That's all. That's everything.

Comments