The Blessings of Freedom

Today I am grateful for warm clothes on cold mornings and for kind gestures from my son Sam (helping make dinner) and husband Darcy (a head massage) after an exhausting work day yesterday.

In honor of the celebration of Veteran's Day, I took time to consider some of the many blessings of freedom that I enjoy. Freedom others fought for, died for, and continue to protect today. Freedom is not a given. Many do not experience it to the degree that I get to. Some really never know it.

With these freedoms come rights, and with rights come responsibilities. Let us not forget that.

Here are some blessings of freedom I can list:

-having the right to vote and being able to feel safe in going to our local polling place
-traveling freely in my community, metro area, state, and country
-being a woman with equal opportunities as men
-feeling safe enough to go outside and enjoy nature
-not having to worry about stepping on landmines
-not fearing family members will be taken from me because of their beliefs or affiliations
-the money I earn is mine, minus the taxes that help support the services I use

There is plenty to be concerned about in this current age, yet so much to be thankful for.

Freedom isn't free. Am I doing my part?  How can I be a contributing citizen today?

Comments

Post a Comment