An Ongoing Challenge

Today I am grateful for pictures of people, now deceased, who have made a difference in my life. The pictures bring back the fondness and the connections. I am also grateful for our local garbage haulers.

Consider this quote:
"When we are no longer able to change a situation, 
we are challenged to change ourselves."
(Viktor Frankl)

Frankl couldn't change that he was a prisoner in WWII concentration camps. Deplorable conditions, constant fear and hunger, no escape but likely death. I have faced nothing near this level of challenge. Yet, we all face difficulties and it isn't a contest. Being human is a real series of trials and tribulation, a journey of joys and awe.

There is little I can actually change. I often forget that and have to be reminded by several slaps from the hard knocks of life. But the little I can change makes all the difference. My effort, attitude, and actions.

I have many ways each day, through proper focus of effort, an attitude of gratefulness, and healthy actions to keep my perspective a forward-moving, problem-solving one. We each do. When we put our energies to our own manageables, it is surprising how the rest of the world seems to become less harried and frightening.

It's an ongoing challenge, but one I feel up to when I start with mindful gratitude.

My energy is better served changing myself, not trying to change others or situations.


Comments