Sharing Gratitude Via Shared A-Z Lists

Today I am grateful for our local community and the downtown holiday events we have enjoyed the last few days. I am also grateful for the power in gratefulness shared among family and friends.

In advance of Thanksgiving Day, two recovery friends and I were working our way through a shared A-Z list, thanks to a social media platform called Marco Polo. I started with the first letters of the alphabet, and then we each took turns until we had worked our way to Z. Being busy with the holiday and our own families, it took us a few days of back and forth.

We laughed and smiled, we got all serious at times. Wisdom and hope were shared. We grew some gratefulness and continued our already-strong connections, these two friends and I. Good, quality fun and simply profound. I decided to branch out and do some more A-Z lists with others in recovery too, using texting as the avenue.

I added in-person A-Z lists with my son Sam and then my husband Darcy, each time as we were going for a short car ride together. Just a few brief moments and we had multiplied some gratitude and bonded in a new way.

Then, I started another A-Z list with my friend Sheila, over Marco Polo as well. Marco Polo is a platform where we can both see and hear one another, appreciated since the two of us aren't able to see one another in person often. Sheila and I aren't quite done with our list, but we have enjoyed what we have created so far, and not surprisingly we have traversed a range of emotions as we covered a variety of topics surrounding gratefulness.

For each of these shared lists, each letter of the alphabet got at least one item noted, and other letters got several things. That's what tends to happen when some focus is given to gratitude in the moment. It takes us to places we didn't know it was going to take us. It multiplies the good we started with and makes it more.

Don't believe me? Try one yourself or with someone else. See where it takes you. The letters A-Z can create much more than words.



Comments