Bow Before the Mystery

Today I am grateful for a replenishing weekend and being able to have phone conversations with all seven of my sisters over the weekend too. I am also grateful for sunshine and a good run yesterday.

I practice gratitude daily, but this time of the year I read and hear more about it. People are discussing it and showing it. Any practice and expression of gratitude is better than none, but to limit it to a month or a day is unfortunate. It would be like exercising a day or a month a year. The benefits wouldn't amount to much.

I know that I am not typical in my approach to this idea of gratitude, living gratefully. I also know that I am motivated and inspired to bring the idea of regular gratitude practice to those around me and those I can reach through other avenues such as this blog.

One place to start this idea of mindful gratitude is to focus on what we haven't lost. We spend too much time and energy focusing on what we think we need or want, and end up overlooking what is already here.

Taking things for granted is part of our human nature. But we can train our brains to start here, start at the daily gifts we get. Then, we take less for granted and we tend to be better stewards of what we already have. We tend to be better contributors to the relationships we are in.

Consider the humbling nature of this quote:

"And if this isn't a day when your universe has tilted and something precious you take for granted has not been suddenly irrevocably lost, bow before the mystery and let gratitude wash over you for the miracle of life, health, and this brief walk on our fragile planet." 
(Carolyn Moore)

Bow before the mystery. Life is a mystery. Good fortune is a mystery. Why me? Why not me? The key is considering if I am upright and breathing, I am among the fortunate.

Bow before the mystery. Life is precious and fragile. Proceed into the mystery of today and see where it takes you.


Comments