Pause. Linger. Dawdle. Tarry.

Today I am grateful for the ability to get in and out of bed by myself, and for those who helped bring the milk I put on my cereal this morning to me.

The word tarry has stuck on my mind the last couple of days. Living gratefully has to be intentional for me, and requires actions and thoughts that foster gratefulness. It is not drudgery though. Far from it.

So I paused, lingered, dawdled, tarried, and created this list of appreciation:

-shadows and light playing together
-a bite of pizza
-a large American flag waving in a moderate breeze
-my feet on the ground, firm and stable
-lingering over making my lunch and the conveniences that helped
-pausing to appreciate what trust looks and feels like
-a sip of coffee sweetened with a little almond milk
-the beautiful sparkles created by streetlights, moonlight, and frost on leaves
-sitting down and feeling relief for tired feet
-a pleasant and lengthier-than-usual phone conversation with my sister
-dawdling in a stretch pose after a challenging plank exercise
-pausing to pray in thanksgiving for the opportunities ahead in this day

A few moments added up to expanding energy and enhancing mindful presence.

Comments