Recommended Reading: Aging Troubles and Treasures

Today I am grateful for morning quiet and a winding down of the work week.

I have mentioned before that I am the youngest of 8 sisters (with 2 of my 5 brothers younger than me). This is one sisterhood I am very proud to be part of. Every one of my sisters has taught me important things about life and shown me the way. 

Today I am especially proud of my oldest sister Danita. She has recently launched her own blog titled "Aging Troubles and Treasures." Danita is going through a profoundly difficult and heart wrenching time. Her husband Roger continues to decline as Lewy Body Dementia claims more and more of him.
Yet, she moves forward each day, finding joy in the simple things, and facing a wide range of  emotions with grace and dignity.

Here are some painfully poignant words from a recent post of hers:

In the “Roger and Me Story” the villain is Lewy Body Dementia(LBD). Roger is declining and LBD is relentless. I am not a hero in this story either. I am scared, tired, and defeated.  Grief is the story line that I follow with my tears, and I know how this story ends. Sometimes the dialogue is so painful and beautiful that every cell in my body reacts.  Roger no longer understands death and he does not understand that he is dying.  Dementia has given him this one gift.  We talk about heaven as a place where he will go and he will be able to bike and hike again.  I tell him that he will get to order all his favorite foods, and watch all his favorite movies with lots of popcorn. Yesterday I asked him if he was ready to go to heaven soon and he shook his head no. I asked him why and he said “Because I know people here.”

Being my oldest sister, there are over 12 years between Danita and I in age. It wasn't until more recently that we have gotten to know one another better. We share some of the same goals and challenges. I am so very grateful I have this opportunity to know her, and therefore myself, better.

You can find Danita's blog here. I encourage you to read it, to take in the clarity and the grief she writes about. I am so proud of you for taking the leap of faith into the blogosphere. There is much growth and healing that can happen between our hearts, souls, and minds and the pen and paper or keyboard. Thanks for allowing us to be a witness to your journey.

Write on sister!

Comments

Post a Comment