"Hold on Loosely" to this "One"

Today I am grateful for our grandson Leo and his healthy growth and development as he turned 6 months old yesterday. I am also grateful for the chance to meet Sam's teachers last evening.

The thought of rare and beautiful country within and without remains on my mind. I return to that which I know best, but also know least-the country within me. Much is left unexplored, yet I have reached a comfort level with this country within over my five decades of living. Body. Heart. Soul. Mind.

My body is scarred and missing parts, courtesy of surgeries to address cancer that had taken up residence in my right breast. There are signs of aging that grow more numerous. Yet, there are also endless capabilities this body can perform. Arms that can carry, legs and back that can lift. Stairs I can climb, miles I can run, rooms I can clean. And the list goes on . . .

On a recent run, I had my radio on and enjoyed some NPR, but also some good tunes. I hadn't worn my radio in weeks. It was a solo run, a beautiful morning, and I was in the flow of the run. A couple of my favorite songs came on the radio during my run, and stayed after my run with a message for me.

"Hold on Loosely" is one of my favorites from the band .38 Special, from the early 1980's. Listen to it here. It always requires a volume move to louder.  The other song I heard was one of my favorites from U2, the song "One."  Listen to it here. Some of the words strike me in each song, but so does the flow and tempo of the music. It fits a run.

But it was their titles that left a lasting mark after that recent run. It was a good run, a good few moments in time when I was one with my body, my soul, nature that surrounded me. I appreciated the moment. I held on loosely so as to not squeeze the joy out. One moment. Followed by another and another. If I find joy in even some of the moments, it is a good day.

Comments

  1. Excellent and thought-provoking. I will hold on loosely to today's moments, appreciating them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the best we can hope for. Too often I miss moments because I am all caught up in "bigger" things. In reality, the moment is as big as it gets. Nice to hear from you. Thanks!

      Delete

Post a Comment