Where Is The Poet?

Today I am grateful for our dog Oliver's playfulness and the joy he brings us. I am also grateful for a morning bike ride with Darcy.

I churned out two poems yesterday and it felt good. I have spoken before about why I believe I write less poetry these days. My writing gets honest energy almost daily through this blog and also monthly through a column I write for our local newspaper, also on the topic of gratitude. I have found a new voice, thanks to many factors, and that voice speaks more in essays now than poems. I am grateful for this new, more confident and wordier voice. But I still love a poem and how it is birthed, usually after a fairly brief gestation.

Here is one of the poems I wrote yesterday:

Where Is The Poet?

She is in
The opening lines
And closing words
Of blog posts
She is in the flow
Of a local
Newspaper column
She is still here

Where is the poet?
She is in the first steps
And final footfalls
Of a long run
She is in the moment
Of morning coffee
On the front patio
And a hug with her
Growing son
She is still here

Where is the poet?
She is still here
Just less in free verse
And more in
The full verse
Of living life

Here in the full verse of living life. I am grateful for the opportunities this day presents. Onward!

Comments

  1. Hi Lisa,
    I appreciate all of your "voices". So glad you were able to churn out a couple of poems. I loved reading this one. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nancy! Blogging has really helped me grow as a writer. I wonder if you feel the same way. The poet in me may show up less frequently, but it's fun when she does. A poem is done a lot quicker than a blog post. Your voice is most appreciated as well. Keep on keeping on.

      Delete

Post a Comment