A Solo Run

Today I am grateful for time with my son Sam, the wisdom other people in recovery share with me, and a couple of rain-free days.

Many Saturday mornings find my husband Darcy and I out on a training run together. I love that we share this commitment to running, staying active, and eating healthy. Those Saturday morning runs are a good time for us to talk, catch up on the week, discuss what lies ahead--literally on our route and figuratively in our lives. Sharing the hobby/lifestyle of running with Darcy is a deep and consistent source of gratitude for me.

But I have also always enjoyed solo runs, and I had the opportunity for one yesterday morning. I am an introspective sort, and solo runs give me time to clear my head, let my thoughts go where they will, listen to music, notice my surroundings differently than when I am running in stride and conversation with Darcy. Time to myself is always appreciated.

Yesterday's run got me thinking about the saving grace that running has always been for me. From a self-conscious and inhibited preteen who discovered she was good at running, to a young adult with hangovers and tortured thoughts who could run back to some sense of sanity, to a cancer patient healing and moving forward on tough post-chemo and post-surgery days. It needn't be a tough time or emotional challenge though for running to be my saving grace. I always feel better after a run, even if I am tired.

I was treated to nice weather and some good music as I listened to a replay of the "American Top 40" that a local radio station does every Saturday. They were doing an extra tribute to Kasey Kasem as well. I heard some songs that get me fired up. More on that tomorrow.

Whether solo or with Darcy or others, I appreciate every run I have had and I look forward to my next one.

Have a good day!

Comments