Fear's Antidote

Today I am grateful for tower fans and electricity to operate them. I also appreciate gratitude as antidote-not only to self-pity, but also to fear.

One of the greatest rewards of gratitude practice for me is that it keeps my old pal self-pity at bay. I used to find it comfortable in that morass, mired in the muck of negative, defeating thoughts. Gratitude practice has been my way out. It has brought me light and open windows and hope.

I realized more recently, with the help of recovery friends, how effective gratitude is as an antidote to fear as well. My fears, big and small, all stem from two areas: fear of losing someone or something I already have in my life or fear of not getting something I want. A loved one leaving, having health issues, or dying. Cancer returning and my health and fitness being lost. Never getting a book published. How to pay for Sam's college education. Having sobriety and recovery slip away. Those are some of my fears. Some are rational and normal. Others take on an irrational tone when I ponder them for too long.

Enter habitual gratitude practice. When I live in gratitude, when I pause and am aware of my daily gifts, I am shown that I have enough. I am told that I have what I need. It calms me down. Gratitude gives me faith. It keeps me present in this moment and in this day. All of these things combine to placate the fear and help me move forward.

This bears repeating, for my sake, even if you already got it. When I am grateful, I have less fear. The gratitude allows my focus to be on what I have, not what I wish I had. The gratitude allows me to enjoy the people and things in front of me rather than getting spun up in my head with fear that I will lose them.

Fear is all about getting ahead of ourselves. Gratitude practice creates a calming presence. That is the key. I appreciate that my gratitude practice continues to teach me and reach me in new ways.

Is gratitude an effective antidote in your life?

Comments

  1. A very powerful post. It bears repeating, when I am grateful I have less fear. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to hear from you Steve. It amazes me how I often will be living the lessons learned before I realize I have learned them. Others help me make the connections. Thanks!

      Delete

Post a Comment