Open the Windows

Today I am grateful for fresh air and the smell of mowed grass. I am also grateful for a working nose to enjoy both.

We upper Midwesterners like to complain about the weather . . . a lot. It's too cold in the winter. It's too hot and humid in the summer. The moderate seasons with the most pleasant days-spring and fall-are too short or nonexistent. Blahblahblah! It's always something. Today I would like to say thanks to Mother Nature and the other powers that be. We have had some downright pleasant days lately.

The kind of days that you can leave windows open all day and sleep well at night because it cools off nicely.The kind of days where you can drive with the car windows down and be comfortable. All those open windows allow me to smell the freshly cut hay or grass, the flowers that are taking their turn to bloom, and much more.

Open the windows and enjoy today.

I also had a brief interaction at the grocery store yesterday that brought a dose of gratitude my way. I stopped after work to pick up a couple of things. At the checkout, when the woman ahead of me got her total bill she was looking for the exact change. It took her a bit and she apologized to me. I said "No problem. If I was in that big of a hurry, then I need to slow down anyway." She smiled back at me.

What I appreciated is that I wasn't just saying it to be nice, I was saying it to myself and I felt that calm presence that isn't there every day. Some days I might have been in the same situation and been churning with frustration inside because I was in a hurry and had lots to do. Gratitude practice helps me with that calm presence, helps me slow down and realize the joy is found easier when the pace is more sane.

Comments